All Democrats were invited to help shape our 2012 Platform. Statewide and regional hearings were held July through November 2011. The deadline to submit testimony for consideration to the 2012 Platform was November 21, 2011.
Click here to review the Draft 2012 Platform. The deadline to submit amendments to the 2012 Platform Draft was January 30, 2012 at 5pm. We are not accepting any amendments submitted past the deadline.
|Draft Platform provided to the full DSCC||Wednesday, January 4, 2012|
|DEADLINE: amendments to the 1st draft||Monday, January 30, 2012 @ 5pm|
|Platform Committee Meeting||Friday, February 10, 2012|
|Platform Adoption||Sunday, February 12, 2012|
PROCEDURES FOR THE AMENDMENT AND ADOPTION OF THE CALIFORNIA DEMOCRATIC PARTY 2012 PLATFORM
The Platform Committee’s Draft Report shall be sent to all Convention delegates no later than January 4, 2012.
The Platform is a statement of principles and any amendments must be germane to the Platform. If any delegate wishes to amend the Draft Platform, then the delegate shall follow the process outlined below:
1. Each delegate must submit, in writing, to be received by the CDP Sacramento Office no later than January 30, 2012, his/her written amendments to the Platform Committee’s Draft Report. Said written amendments must be signed by five (5) different members of the Democratic Central Committee or five (5) registered Democrats from five (5) different Assembly Districts and must include their addresses, phone numbers, and the Assembly District in which they reside and be identified by a single sponsor.
(a) The Platform Committee shall meet or conference call by February 10, 2012 to consider all written amendments submitted with the five (5) valid signatures. The Platform Committee, at its pleasure, may take any additional testimony it desires and may, by majority vote, adopt an amendment, or any part thereof. Should any amendment or any part thereof be adopted, then said amendment shall become part of the Platform Committee’s Draft Report.
(b) If said amendment, or part thereof, is not adopted, then said amendment may be brought to the floor of the Convention only if all the provisions of Section 2(b) of these Rules are met.
(c) All amendments, or any parts thereof, which are adopted by the Platform Committee shall be made available to all delegates at the Convention, promptly after the Friday Platform meeting.
2. An amendment which had been timely submitted by January 30, 2012, but failing to be adopted in its original form, may be submitted by its sponsor in writing, in whole or part thereof, to the Secretary of the Convention no later than Saturday, February 11, 2012, at 5:00 p.m. Said amendment must be signed by no fewer than three hundred (300) credentialed delegates to the Convention (or their qualified credentialed proxies), and must contain the name of the sponsor of the amendment.
(a) The Secretary of the Convention shall certify each amendment by determining if all delegate signatures are valid.
(b) No later than 6:30 p.m., on Saturday, February 11, 2012, the Platform Committee shall meet to review each amendment certified by the Secretary of the Convention. All sponsors of each amendment must attend this meeting. The Platform Committee may, at its pleasure, take any additional testimony it desires and may, by majority vote, adopt said amendment, or any part thereof. Should any amendment, or any part thereof, be adopted, then said amendment shall become part of the Platform Committee’s Draft Report.
(c) If said amendment is not adopted in its entirety, then the amendment or any part not adopted, shall be introduced to the full Convention for debate and vote.
(d) All amendments, or any part thereof, which are adopted by the Platform Committee shall be made available to each delegate at the time that they enter the Convention Hall for Sunday morning session.
(e) The sponsor of the amendment may, at any time, withdraw the amendment from consideration by the Platform Committee or the Convention delegates.
1. On Sunday, February 12, 2012 the Platform Committee shall present its Draft Report to the Convention for its approval. The Convention shall follow the below-listed procedures when considering the Draft Report and amendments thereto:
(a) The Draft Platform Report shall be presented by persons chosen by the co-chairs of the Platform Committee.
(b) As each report is completed, the co-chairs of the Platform Committee shall call on each sponsor of an amendment to present their amendment and said presentation shall be no longer than four (4) minutes.
(c) After each amendment has been presented by its sponsor, then the opponents of the amendments shall have four (4) minutes to present their position. Debate will be automatically closed unless a motion is made to extend debate and adopted by a majority vote. Said extension shall not exceed four (4) minutes equally divided between opponents and proponents to the amendments.
(d) Following the debate on the amendment, delegates shall vote on the amendment.
2. Following the presentation of each report and after the amendments have been voted on, then the delegates shall, by majority vote, adopt or reject each report. The final report of the Convention shall be known as the California Democratic Party Platform.
3. The co-chairs of the Platform Committee are authorized to make any punctuation, grammatical, or spelling changes as needed in the Final Report.